Day 1 detox is really a head game more than anything.
We begin to realize how habitual we are in our eating patterns. For example, its fairly easy to eat a plate of treats when it sits on the break room counter at work, or grab that extra cup of coffee with cream because someone else's smells so wonderful, but yet when the next meal comes we don't necessarily restrict our calories to compensate for our extra treats! This is challenging in two ways. One, without monitoring our intake, the calories, usually lacking nutritional value, add up to real pounds! Two, we overwhelm our body systems, causing undo stress on our liver, colon and pancreas to filter, eliminate and produce more insulin.
The power of suggestion is my biggest enemy! If I really think about it, I don't NEED more food or drink at a particular time...I am not even hungry. The key for me is simply putting thought into what I am feeding my body. Detox is a very good time to evaluate why you eat what you do. Is it because you are feeding your muscles, your brain or your heart, or is it to simply satisfy a tongue craving, a moment of fatigue or boredom, or because we are "programmed" to eat mindlessly? The food channel gets me every time! This which along with the weather channel, is near the only television I watch. But wow!, I think I need to eat while they cook, and of course post-snack...I am remorseful about my decision. So now I only watch the cook-offs while I am on the treadmill. Tough to eat chocolate cake and jog at the same time!
For those of you checking the blog for recipes today (day 1) was simplistic. I was on the run, seeing patients, transporting children, teaching pilates and making potato salad for the church dinner, therefore my food choices were basic.
Lunch:
Handful of almonds and a handful of toasted coconut
16 ounces water
Snack:
Rice crackers....this was a gray area today. This is processed food but no artificial colors, additives or gluten (which I am sensitive to)
16 ounces water
Dinner:
Scrambled eggs (used almond milk) with sauteed fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup pineapple
12 ounces water
Snack: Bengal Spice Tea
orange
In retrospect: I would like to have seen many more veggies today, but despite a busy day I managed to
- stay away from coffee....and everything else on the "elimination" list
- Keep my blood sugar level with frequent snacks
- Maintain a good amount of water
- Amazingly, avoid a headache
Surprisingly, I wasn't very hungry either, this is likely due to mental preparedness and commitment to doing this for 10 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment